The importance of a good gaming mouse cannot be understated. Every profession has its tools of the trade, for Gamers one such tool is a gaming mouse. The difference a good mouse can make in your gaming experience is profound to say the least. It can grant you more precision, better control and thus a higher competitive edge over your opponents.
This article lists the best gaming mouse 2016 – 2017. There is a huge variety of gaming mice available in the market but one of the most common questions to be asked is what separates a gaming mouse from a conventional mouse?
Other than the looks, the gaming mice have some exclusive features that sets them apart. First of they have very high sensitivity or DPI. Some of the gaming mice even come with adjustable sensitivity. Besides that, gaming mice have an incredible build quality that is capable of withstanding intense gaming rage episodes.
Along with that, some of the gaming mice have adjustable design, you can add weights and even wider palm rests to make the gaming mouse more comfortable and catered to your style. There are even gaming mouses built for different gaming genres. For instance MMO gaming mice are design to have several programmable buttons.
There isn’t a huge rocket science involved in buying a good gaming mouse. In the end, it all depends upon your preference. Some find perfection in simplicity; whereas, there are others who would rather have highly customization mouse like the MAD CATZ R.A.T.9.
Three of The Best Gaming Mice
These mice have not just garnered huge support and praise from their customers, some of these belong to a very old line of awesome gaming mice. Check them out below.
Corsair Vengeance M65
C0rsair has a huge variety of gaming gear in the market now, from power supplies to gaming chassis and they are all perfect. One of their most famous lines of gaming gear is the vengeance series. That is where this M65 hails from.
It is just the perfect mouse to fit into any hands of a gamer. To start with it has all the important features that a gamer needs such as adjustable weights, selectable response times and ergonomic grip with an aluminium metal base for those rages. Speaking of the DPI, the laser sensor of this mouse is top notch with a DPI setting of 8,200, which can be controlled.
While this best gaming mouse is primarily dubbed as an FPS gaming mouse, it can be used comfortably for almost all kinds of gaming genres. It is not super expensive and for the customizability and the features this mouse has to offer, the price is quite justifiable.
However, beyond the basic features it is the feel, the grip on the textured surface and size of the buttons that is so perfectly designed for this mouse. Other than the two comfortably large right and lift click buttons the corsair vengeance M65 has two conveniently placed thumb buttons. Under the large comfortable scroll wheels are buttons for changing the DPI settings and a dedicated sniper button that adjusts the DPI accordingly. Tomsguide.com on the performance of this mouse says
The Vengeance M65 promises a peripheral that excels at one genre, and it delivers on its claim.”
It goes even further saying that
It’s also a perfectly good mouse for most other genres.
The standard version of the Corsair M65 Vengeance comes in two colors: Black and White; however, there is also the RGB version which has cutomizable lights yet costing exactly the same.
There is no left hand configuration at the moment. No instructions available for the mouse software.
One of the classical best gaming mouse that you will always find in the Top 3 lists of almost any gaming mouse reviewing articles. If simplicity is what you are after, then you cannot get a mouse this simple and yet this perfect. The mouse has superior ergonomics for its price. It has received almost flawless score across the board. Wired has given this mouse a 9.0, CNET an 8.0, NotebookReview a 9.0 and the list goes on.
Razer Deathadder has been praised for its high accuracy and has a powerful software that can be used to customize the mouse. The standard DeathAdder comes with 6400 DPI mouse with an optical sensor. However, the real winner is the Chroma edition. It costs a $10 more than the standard edition, but offers a whopping 10,000 DPI with adjustability and customizable lighting with a wide color selection.
So basically, if you are looking for just the bear minimum, you can go ahead with the Razer DeathAdder standard edition, but if you are looking for extra features with wider customizability, then Chroma edition is your best bet. Left handers can rejoice in that Razer DeathAdder is also available in the left hand configuration.
There are no extra costs to this rare configuration, in fact, sometimes you can even find this mouse to have a lower price tag then standard edition. Unfortunately, there is con attached to the left hand configuration. It does not feature an optical sensor, instead an infrared one that has a DPI of 3500.
No button provided for adjusting sensitivity. Ultra simple to most gamer’s taste. The left handed configuration has a lower quality sensor.
Roccat Kone XTD
A highly reviewed gaming mouse. This is an all rounder best gaming mouse that can excel in almost all genres. The mouse has a soft touch texture for giving you that extra grip. Furthermore, it comes in two configurations. Configuration one features an optical sensor with only 6400 dpi and it is cheaper.
The other configuration comes with a laser sensor that has a DPI of 8200 and it costs about $10 more. Now, Roccat Kone XTD is a heavy mouse weighing at 123 grams. It even has additional weights to make it heavier. However, this mouse is designed for medium to large hands, therefore you should not have any trouble picking the mouse up.
This mouse comes with lighting customization on four different zones. You can choose between 16.8 million colors. Other than that, the mouse has a simple yet interesting configuration of buttons. For starters, it’s mouse wheel can tilt left and right giving you an additional two buttons. Under the scroll wheel you can find two buttons for adjusting the DPI on the fly. Over it you will find a button dedicated for opening the start menu.
The thumb rest has three button, two for page forward and back button and one exclusive button called the Easy-Shift [+] button. Holding this button pressed while clicking another can give you essentially a second button. This is excellent for MMO fans who desire several buttons for easy commands. The Kone XTD delivers and at the same time with a clean look.
Ahmer Kazi from PCMag.com says
The Roccat Kone XTD makes for a well-designed, highly customizable gaming mouse that’s a great choice for gamers.
It is heavy and not suited for small hands. Does not come in left handed or ambidextrous configuration. Pricier than the two above.
Other Great Gaming Mice in the Market
There are many gaming mice in the market. You will mostly find gaming mice that are built for FPS. FPS is the hottest genre and the one that perhaps benefits from a gaming mouse the most. It only makes sense that a vast majority of the gaming mice available in the market are made for FPS genre. However, you will also find mice that are designed specifically for different genres such as MOBA, MMO RPG etc. This list should give you the idea of the best ones out there.
- Logitech G303 Deadalus Apex: This gaming mouse has 6 programmable buttons that are perfect for MOBA experience. The clicking of the buttons is quick which gives you quick response in the intense battles. It also has on the fly DPI setting.
- Razer Taipan: This is yet another budget and an ambidextrous mouse by the Razer. It has a high 8200 DPI laser sensor and comes with a famous Synapse software for configuring the mouse.
- Corsair Vengeance M95: This is the bigger and more expensive version of the Corsair Vengeance M65. It is designed for MMO as well as RTS games. It has 15 fully programmable buttons smartly located on the sides for easy access. These buttons can be assigned macros, spells, commands etc. It also has selectable response time and 8200 DPI laser sensor.
- Razer Naga: This is a classical gaming mouse for all the MMO lovers out there. It has a smart design that the Razer call “one-size-fits-all”, which is suitable for almost everyone. It has 12 buttons on the thumb side that can be assigned commands and macros for quick access in MMOs. There are many different version of this mouse available including a left-handed version.
- Roccat TYON: One of the latest mouse to have hit the market. It has exquisite looks with some vast number of features. However, it is also quite expensive. The mouse has 16 programmable buttons and 8200 DPI.
All Rounder Best Gaming Mouse 2016
You will find that most of the highly reviewed gaming mice are usually built for FPS. The idea being that if a mouse is truly powerful enough to play FPS games, it should be able to manage other genres such as RTS or Action games. But what about a truly all rounder best gaming mouse that is capable of playing almost any genre possible?
Logitech G502 Spectrum: You may have heard about this extraordinary mouse from here and there. People who have tried this have only praised it.
The mouse offers a whopping 11 buttons that are completely programmable. It has customizable weights as well as a superior optical sensor with upto 12,000 DPI. The DPI can be adjusted on the fly with 5 different settings. Additionally, you also get 5 x 3.6g weights for personalizing the weight of this mouse.
Budget Gaming Mice
Can you possibly get a gaming mouse below $50 or even $40 range. You sure an. These are perhaps the most simple gaming mice out there but they do their job. They are durable enough to sustain the rages and have some decent features to keep you entertained. These are some of the best gaming mouse at a budget price tag.
- Roccat LUA: This is a simple three button ambidextrous gaming mouse. It does not have the high DPI that most of the gaming mice do, but it is sufficient for those who do not have a keen sense for subtle differences i.e. if you are not a hardcore gamer you will probably not realize the difference. It has an optical sensor with 2000 dpi. The DPI can be selected from 250 – 2000 in 7 steps. The mouse if quite comfortable for long haul gaming thanks to sweat proof side grips.
- SteelSeries Kana: This is not the cheapest gaming mice in the list as that position is currently held by Roccat LUA; however, it is still quite budget friendly. It also has an ambidextrous shape that can fit in almost all hands. It is a simple mouse with 5 programmable buttons. Something that the LUA lacks. The mouse has a CPI of 3200.
- SteelSeries Sensei RAW: This is a laser gaming mouse and also one of the budget yet high quality gaming mouse in the market. It delivers what is expected from a gaming mouse and nothing more. It is available in glossy as well as rubberized texture and the best thing about this mouse is that it is ambidextrous.
Most Customizable Gaming Mice
Some best gaming mouse have extensive customizability. Unfortunately they are quite expensive as well. However, if you have money, then you can definitely consider these as your next gaming hardware.
- Razer Ouroboros Elite: This is an Ambidextrous mouse. It is expensive but for good reasons. For starters it has one of the most advanced 4G sensor with 8200DPI. This is just the beginning of the story for this mouse though. This is a wireless mouse that is powered by only one AA battery. However, if you are not a big fan of wireless technology, you can switch it to being a wired mouse as well. It even has interchangeable side panels so that you can customize the grip and ergonomics of the mouse.
- Mad Catz R.A.T.9: This is yet another highly customizable gaming mouse with many moving and changeable parts. It is hard to tell whether this mouse is the most comfortable on the hands, because that depends on personnel preference, but it surely has some of the most extensive features for customizability.
FAQ & Guide
They are basically the same thing pertaining to the sensitivity of the mouse and in thus telling you about the quality of the sensor. It is a measure of how well the sensor prints or rather reads the surface. DPI stands for dots per inch; whereas, CPI stands for counts per inch. The higher the better more sensitive the mouse is.
DPI/CPI are basically the measure of the distance the mouse cursor travels on the screen in relation to the real life. So a mouse with higher sensitive would move further per cm than a mouse with lower sensitivity. It really has not thing to do with the accuracy of the mouse though.
Laser vs Optical
An optical mouse once lifted off the surface will not track. Laser mice typically have higher DPI than the optical mice. Optical sensors are older technology but are typically believed to be more accurate and have a higher control than the laser sensors.
Wired vs Wireless
A true gamer would always settle with a wired gaming mouse. A wired gaming mouse almost always ensure a fast response time. A wireless mouse would always have a lag as compared to the wired mouse. However, some of the high quality wireless gaming mouse are quite responsive as well. For more details on the mouse and a for a complete guide, a page on overclock.net has some interesting information.
Here we had a look at some of the best gaming mice of 2016. We started of with our number one pick as the Corsair Vengeance M65, a fairly reasonable price quality gaming mouse. At number 2 we had the famous Razer DeathAdder with its simplicity.
At number 3 was the Roccat Kone XTD. We also had a look at some of the other gaming mice including other great all rounder, budget and customizable gaming mice. Some of the typical questions asked when buying these peripheral were also answered.